Parks and Woodland
North East Lincolnshire has over 50 parks and open spaces to enjoy.
A short stroll from Grimsby town centre lies the lovely Victorian People’s Park with its 23-acre grounds with a central lake playing host to mallard, coot and Canada geese. The large, grassed area is perfect for a picnic and recreational games with a café and play area on site along with bowling greens and a croquet lawn. The band stand plays host to various music events held in the park during the summer months.
Cleethorpes Country Park is 64 hectares of natural parkland, with a huge lake perfect for a day’s fishing. Surrounded by an accessible footpath, it is pushchair and wheelchair friendly.
Weelsby Woods contains natural areas including open grassland, large play facilities and car parking. In the summer and at most weekends you can enjoy the café ice cream parlour. In 2010 Weelsby Woods was designated a Local Nature Reserve.
Historic Bradley Woods is one of North East Lincolnshire’s most important sites for visitors and wildlife. The ancient woodland is over 1000 years old, and mentioned in the Domesday Book, it has remained largely unchanged ever since. Many species, including birds, beetles, bats and badgers, call the woods home, and are a large part of why the area is so important. Deer also use the woods as a refuge and badgers forage for food on the woodland floor. Different flower species, including bluebells, lesser celandine, wood anemone and dog’s mercury, which grow in ancient woodlands are all present in Bradley Woods.
Perhaps more importantly, the woods also inspired Grimsby’s coat of arms. The three boar heads which represent the borough are believed to have links to Henry VIII, who is said to have hunted in the woods while staying at nearby Thornton Abbey in 1540.
Bradley and Dixon woods are a local nature reserve on the south side of Grimsby. There has been woodland on this site for over 1000 years and it is even mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) as the village of Bradley and the ‘broad-wood’. It is now a declared Local Nature Reserve.